Direct Use of Natural Gas
Significant savings are possible for natural gas customers.
Customers appreciate efficient, affordable and reliable natural gas. Natural gas also has the potential to protect our environment, boost our economy and move our nation toward energy independence.
According to the study, “Fueling the Future with Natural Gas: Bringing it Home,” published by IHS CERA with support from the American Gas Foundation:
- Natural gas prices are expected to remain in the $4-5 per mmBtu range on average through 2035.
- Switching to a natural gas-heated home saves U.S. consumers more than $5,700 on average over 15 years.
- Lower natural gas prices provided an increase in real disposable income per household of approximately $1,200 in 2012. This will steadily increase to $2,000 in 2015 and more than $3,500 by 2025.
- Households with natural gas heating, cooking and clothes drying spend an average of $654 less annually than households using electricity for the same appliances.
- A natural gas vehicle will save you an average of $4,500 in fuel costs over five years compared to a gasoline vehicle.
Since many existing natural gas policies were developed when natural gas was perceived to be scare and when market fundamentals were different, our nation’s new reality of affordable, abundant natural gas requires new thinking.
Re-evaluating national and local policies will help identify new opportunities, allowing our communities to realize the full potential of a natural gas-fueled future.