Combustible Materials

Important information on hazardous and combustible materials.

Flammable liquid vapors and combustible materials can cause serious accidents in the home. Vapors from flammable liquids such as gasoline, cleaning solvent, contact cement, and paint thinner can ignite from an open flame, such as those found in natural gas water heaters, or furnace pilot lights.

Because many flammable vapors are heavier than air, codes require that heating equipment generating a glow, a spark or a flame, be installed least 18 inches above the floor level.

Follow these important precautions when handling combustible materials:

  • Flammable liquids must always be used in an open, well ventilated area away from any ignition source-including a pilot light or electronic ignition.
  • Do not fill your lawn mower with gasoline or use cleaning solvent or paint thinner near a natural gas appliance. Spills on concrete floors can spread and vaporize quickly.
  • Store flammable liquids out of reach of children and away from sources of ignition.
  • Keep all combustible materials-such as paper, curtains and rags away from natural gas appliances.