Use the Boiler Maintenance Checklist to reduce your energy consumption.
Proper operation and maintenance of a gas fired boiler can save a significant amount of natural gas. Perform the actions on this checklist to maintain the efficiency of your boiler.
Boiler Maintenance Checklist
- Check furnace sight glass regularly, checking for a nice blue flame.
- Check combustion air opening for obstructions.
- Check combustion air blower wheel for build-up of lint or dust.
- Check combustion efficiency every 6-8 months.
- Check stack thermometer regularly and record readings.
- Check piping for signs of steam, water or chemical leakage.
- Check boiler piping for signs of rust or corrosion.
- Check for steam loss on piping and condensate return lines.
- Check for damaged or missing insulation.
- Check for paint discoloration on boiler shell.
- Check gauge and controller settings and record them.
- Check control linkages and mark their settings.
- Check water meter for failure, record makeup water usage.
- Check pressure relief valve for leakage.
- Check stack thermometer probe for signs of soot or fouling.
- Check all essential pumps that may be timed off.
- Check chemical feed pumps for proper operation and settings.
- Check all steam traps for failure.
- Check all oil pump gauges and record their settings.
- Check oil filters and strainers regularly.
- Check temperature on oil heaters and record their settings.
- Check all pump gauge readings and record them.
- Check all pump gauge readings against pump curves.
Top Five Conservation Tips
- Preheat makeup water to boiler.
- Upgrade system operating controls.
- Upgrade to high turn-down burners.
- Install boiler blow-down heat recovery units.
- Install air-to-air heat exchanger for preheat of combustion air.