Hydrogen is key to decarbonization
- Hydrogen has zero CO2 emissions at the point of use.
- It is a versatile energy source that can be blended with natural gas and injected into existing pipelines, distributed in a dedicated pipe network, or combined with waste carbon dioxide and converted to synthetic natural gas.
- Clean hydrogen1Clean hydrogen is defined in the federal Inflation Reduction Act as having an emissions profile of 4kgCO2e/kgH2 or less. can be created through the power-to-gas process, using surplus renewable electricity generated from solar and wind during periods of high output and low demand.
- Carbon neutral hydrogen can be produced by reforming conventional natural gas, paired with carbon capture and storage.
- Hydrogen can be stored on a large scale for long periods of time and delivered when needed.
Clean Hydrogen Projects
We’re conducting real-world research to determine maximum hydrogen blending levels we can safely add to our pipelines without significant modifications to our distribution system or our customers’ appliances. In 2021, we tested a 5% blend at NW Natural's state-of-the-art training facility in Sherwood, Oregon, and confirmed that it will work in our system. We’re now testing the blend on end-use equipment, including furnaces, fireplaces, and water heaters.
Become a Renewable Natural Gas or Hydrogen Supplier
We are currently seeking new supply opportunities
We are continuously looking to partner with organizations to increase our supplies of renewable gas. We are interested in the sale of a total or partial interest in existing or development gas projects or for the sale of pipeline-quality RNG or hydrogen. We seek RNG resources and/or associated environmental attributes from around the country and from a wide variety of feedstocks and sources. To start the conversation, contact us at email@example.com.
Register your account online.
View and pay bills, see gas use, and compare use over time.