New Rates for Oregon Customers Take Effect Nov. 1
Adjusted rates include approval of General Rate Case and Purchased Gas Adjustment
Media contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; 503-818-9845 (pager)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 19, 2020
PORTLAND, Ore. — NW Natural customers in Oregon will have new rates starting November 1 that include the combined effects of a rate case and the annual Purchased Gas Adjustment, both recently approved by the Public Utility Commission of Oregon.
The impacts of both adjustments together will mean an increase of about $2 more per month (4%) for the average residential customer, and approximately $10 more per month (5%) for the average small commercial customer. Average monthly bill calculations are approximations based on residential usage of 53 therms per month and small commercial usage of 242 therms per month.
What comprises this rate adjustment?
- The Purchased Gas Adjustment, which trues-up the prior year’s natural gas purchases and projects the cost of natural gas for the year ahead, will result in about a 4% reduction a month for the average residential customer and small commercial customer.
- This commodity cost decrease is offset by about an 8% increase for the average residential customer and about a 9.5% increase for the average small commercial customer associated with approval of the Oregon rate case ($49 million) to recover operating costs, investments in greater system reliability and resiliency, and the recently passed Oregon corporate activity tax.
Ways to save energy and lower your bills
- Taking a whole-house approach to energy efficiency will help you get the most out of your monthly bill and keep your home at its peak comfort level.
- Free and low-cost improvements can reduce your energy consumption and your payments, especially in the cold winter months.
- For ways to save energy, visit: https://www.nwnatural.com/ways-to-save/efficiency-tips.
Natural gas bills remain low
- NW Natural customers are paying about 37% less today for their bills than they did 15 years ago, due to lower commodity costs coupled with efficient operations and energy efficiency measures.
- NW Natural was able to pass back $17 million in bill credits to customers in June due to its effective management of storage assets.
More information about the new rates is available by calling our Customer Contact Center at 503-226-4211. Customers can also call the same phone number for information about flexible payment plans and low-income assistance.
NW Natural provides natural gas service to approximately two million people in more than 140 communities through 770,000 meters in Oregon and Southwest Washington with one of the most modern pipeline systems in the nation. It consistently leads the industry with high J.D. Power & Associates customer satisfaction scores. NW Natural is part of Northwest Natural Holding Company, (NYSE: NWN) (NW Natural Holdings), which is headquartered in Portland, Oregon and owns NW Natural, NW Natural Water Company, and other business interests and activities. For more information, visit .