Service and innovation since 1859.
For 162 years, NW Natural has been a vital part of the Northwest, providing safe, efficient and reliable energy for homes and business.
"We Grew Up Here." We say that often because we've welcomed families and businesses to the Pacific Northwest since 1859. Our priority: helping them create warm, safe, productive places to live and work.
As Oregon and Southwest Washington grew into thriving communities, we kept pace, innovating along the way to ensure the convenience of natural gas would be there to provide a great quality of life for all.
Lighting the streets of a booming frontier
Herman C. Leonard, Henry Green and John Green created infrastructure in Portland.
- Added gas lamps to Portland's streets.
- Delivered manufactured gas to families.
- Created the Portland Gas Light company.
Rapid growth throughout the Northwest
- In 1956, the first natural gas began flowing through the local distribution system.
- Between 1955 and 1957, the percentage of new homes in the company’s service territory built for gas space heating grew 37%.
- The number rose to 64%, with 50% of new homes also installing natural gas water heaters.
- In 1958, we officially changed our name to Northwest Natural Gas Company.
Leading the way in rate decoupling
In 2002, we became the first stand-alone gas utility in the nation to change the way it bills customers.
- We do not benefit by selling a customer more gas, so we mean it when we say we want customers to conserve.
- We can promote conservation and energy efficiency.
First carbon-offset program
We became the first stand-alone gas utility in the nation to offer a carbon-offset program.
- Customers contribute as little as $5 a month to the Smart Energy program.
- Contributions support projects that can offset carbon emissions of their home or business, and turn waste into a renewable energy source.
Modernizing our pipelines
We were one of the first gas utilities in the U.S. to replace all known cast iron and bare steel pipelines in our system with modern polyethylene pipes and cathodically protected and coated pipes. Benefits:
- Highly resistant to corrosion.
- Keeps gas in the pipes, making our system tight and better for the environment.
- Has thousands of shut-off valves to control our system in the event of any emergency.
- Performs better in landslides or seismic events.
- Has an expected lifespan of up to 100 years.
Best in the West
For the 17th year in a row, NW Natural scored in the top two in the West for large utilities in the 2019 J.D. Power Gas Utility Residential Customer Satisfaction Study.
The environmental legacy of a working river
NW Natural and a group of businesses and public agencies – in concert with state and federal regulators – are working to clean up sediments contaminated from more than 150 years of industrial activity around Portland Harbor.
Register your account online.
View and pay bills, see gas use, and compare use over time.