Carbon monoxide facts and safety tips.

Natural gas is non-toxic. Under normal operating conditions, it burns cleanly, producing heat, carbon dioxide and water vapor.

But if natural gas isn’t burning properly or the appliance is malfunctioning, it could create a hazard. Though rare, either situation could result in an excess amount of carbon monoxide in the air.

Warning signs

Warning signs to watch for

Carbon monoxide (CO) is odorless and poisonous, and caused by malfunctioning equipment or appliances that don't vent properly. CO deprives the heart, brain and other vital organs of oxygen.

UL-approved carbon monoxide detectors can immediately alert you when a high level of CO is in the air. Other physical signs to look out for include:

  • A yellow flame instead of blue on gas equipment and appliances.
  • Soot around the front of a furnace or water heater.
  • A furnace that constantly runs, but doesn't warm up the house.
  • The appearance of moisture inside of your windows.
  • You or others experiencing headaches, shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea or confusion.
CO prevention tips

Tips to keep carbon monoxide in check

As our customer, you can schedule a free Annual Equipment Inspection. A NW Natural technician comes to your home and inspects appliances to ensure they're running correctly and efficiently.

Here's what else you can do:

  • Install UL-approved carbon monoxide detectors around your home.
  • Ensure all vents and chimneys are properly installed and inspected regularly.
  • Look for improper connections, visible rust or stains on vents and chimneys.
  • Keep chimneys and vents free of debris, such as leaves, creosote and animal nests.
General safety tips

Safety tips for everyday scenarios

Because CO can be caused by different sources, be sure to follow these safety tips:

  • Always grill outdoors in an open space.
  • Never sit in a parked car with the engine running and the windows closed.*
  • Always provide proper venting when you operate kerosene or propane heaters indoors.
  • Never use the gas range or oven for home heating.

    * Vehicle exhaust is responsible for more than half of the unintentional CO deaths each year.
 

Discover More

Call 811 before you dig.

Prevent thousands of dollars of property damage and avoid the risk of injuries by calling ahead of time.

Learn more
Our safety measures.

Learn about our modern pipeline system and proactive safety programs.

Details
Smell natural gas?

Smell. Go. Let us know. Learn more about actions to take if you suspect a gas leak.

Details

Register your account online.

View and pay bills, see gas use, and compare use over time.