Natural gas meters are sensitive instruments that record the amount of gas you use each month. NW Natural reads your meter regularly so we can bill you accurately.
You don't have to pay for or install your meter. We'll take care of that for you. But we do ask that you keep it safe. Here's how.
Watch out for gas theft
It's a crime to use natural gas that isn't correctly metered. Look out for unauthorized persons near your meter, extra parts attached to it or other damage.
What to do
If you suspect someone has tampered with your meter, leave your meter as you found it and call us at 503-226-4211 x 5904.
Clear meter obstructions
We need your help to keep a clear path to the meter so we can read it and bill you correctly, or turn it off in case of emergency.
Here's what you can do:
- Maintain an accessible footpath to the meter.
- Make sure the meter has three feet of clear and unobstructed space above and in front of it.
- Keep the meter in an open, ventilated space.
- Keep snow, ice or other debris off your meter. Use a soft broom or brush, and no sharp tools.
- Don't tie or hang anything to the gas meter or piping.
Meter guard posts
Protect the meter
If the meter is located where it could be struck by a vehicle, RV or trailer, call NW Natural at 800-422-4012 to see if a guard post should be installed.
Get assistance protecting your meter
Register your account online.
View and pay bills, see gas use, and compare use over time.